Saturday, March 7, 2009

William Eggleston


Good afternoon,

William Eggleston is my favourite photographer. I love colour photography and no-one does it better. He uses dye transfer printing and all the colours come out really sharp and saturated.

The red ceiling (1973) is a pretty famous Eggleston using this technique and a perfect example of how dye transfer printing affects the colour saturation. The ceiling and walls appear to be painted with blood.


William Eggleston was born in Memphis, Tennessee and some of my favourite pictures are taken from a book I got in the Gallery of Photography in Meeting House Square 'William Eggleston Guide' like the one at the top and the ones below. They're all taken in Memphis or northern Mississippi. They invoke a totally misplaced feeling of nostalgia, I wasn't born then and i've never been to the States, ah well...I miss Memphis and it feels good.





No comments:

Post a Comment